What is a Photo Gallery Plugin?
At some point or another, most website owners consider having a photo gallery of some sort on their website. It’s a good way to help generate traffic and can help improve your site SEO. WordPress includes a built-in default gallery that you could use. However the WordPress default gallery lacks the functionality and the appeal that most users are looking for. You can create a much better gallery by installing a WordPress image gallery plugin. If you want your photos to be displayed in a slider, then you might need an image slider WordPress plugin. There are thousands of gallery plugins available for WordPress so there is certainly no shortage of plugins to choose from. When selecting a gallery WordPress plugin there are a number of things to consider including:
- Speed: Speed is one of the most important factors when selecting a gallery plugin, as many plugins cause pages to load slowly. This will lose you visitors and hurt your websites SEO
- Ease of use: A plugin that is easy to work with is desirable
- Features: The plugin should be able to do everything you want it to.
- Compatibility: You gallery plugin must be compatible with your theme and other plugins
- Pricing: Cost is always a consideration
Even knowing what to look for it can be hard to choose from all the available options. We have made it easier for you by comparing some of the top gallery plugins, to determine the best gallery WordPress plugin.
Our WordPress image gallery plugin comparison
We will compare 3 gallery plugins, Envira Gallery, Foo Gallery and NextGEN Gallery. All three are popular with good reputations. The plugins will be compared based on speed, features, compatibility, ease of use, and price.
- Speed test: Foo Gallery and NextGEN Gallery had respectable page load times that differed by only .01 seconds. Envira was the clear winner by .8 seconds with a page load time of 1.09 seconds despite the page size being double the others.
- Features: When it comes to features NextGEN had more right out of the box than the other two plugins, which need several add-ons to match the NextGEN standard package. A knock on Foo Gallery is it isn’t responsive out of the box
- Compatibility: All three plugins do pretty well when it comes to integrating smoothly with other popular plugins. It is easier to import and export galleries with Envira, so the get a slight edge in compatibility.
- Ease of Use: Envira and Foo Gallery are both easy to use with interfaces that resemble WordPress in look and feel. While not difficult to use NextGEN isn’t as easy as the other two for beginners.
- Cost: It is hard to calculate cost as it depends on add-ons you may want. Out of the box you get more with NextGEN so they have the edge here.
Any of these three would be a good WordPress plugin image galleries could be created from if installed on your site. Due to its speed, solid performance in other areas, Envira gets the nod for the best WordPress image gallery plugin. Choosing the best gallery plugin is somewhat subjective. Somebody who placed more importance on out of the box features than on speed would likely have chosen NextGEN rather than Envira. The best plugin is the one that satisfies the requirements you consider important. If the perfect plugin for you doesn’t exist, contact our WordPress plugin development service, and it soon will.
We will make the perfect custom plugin for you
With our WordPress plugin development service, it is possible to get the plugin that perfectly suits your needs. You don’t have to settle for a close fit. If you wear a size 9 shoe you wouldn’t want to walk around in an 8. You would locate a pair of size nines. If you can’t find the plugin that fits your requirements, our custom plugin development service will create one. Our developers and programmers are some of the best in the industry, and will tailor a plugin that is a perfect fit. Using our service includes
- Affordable rates with no hidden charges
- Guarantees on all work we provide
- Dedicated account managers
- Live customer support 24/7